How to apply for a Passport?
- Comments Off on How to apply for a Passport?
What is a Passport?
It is an official travel document issued by the government which certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries. Any Indian Individual can apply for it online as well as offline
Under the Passports Act 1967, the Government of India may issue different types of passports and travel documents such as Ordinary Passport, Diplomatic Passport, Official Passport, Emergency Certificate and Certificate of Identity for the purpose.
Visa: A travel visa is an official government document that temporarily authorizes you to be in the country you are visiting. Many countries require a visa to gain entry. The visa usually is in the form of a stamp or sticker placed IN the passport and is obtained from the country you are visiting.
Get to know more about VISA here.
How & where you can get passport (The process)
STEP 1: Register yourself to Passport India site.
STEP 2: Fill the form carefully with full data.
STEP 3: Select appointment at Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) & pay online.
To locate PSK click here:
STEP 4: Also Apply on premium SMS alert. Print the outcome form & attach Xerox of the document (Self attested)
STEP 5: Please reach at least 30 min before time with original copy of & the above mentioned form – Xerox
- Birth certificate
- Proof of ID
- Proof of Residence
- Proof of nationality
- 10th result(compulsory) & original degree(if graduate)
Find PSK centre near you.
At PSK there will be a reception counter where they will check your documents with any ID then u will be sent to token line. Then
Counter A– Here you will give all Your original for upload & he/she will ask you questions & snap your pic & sign
Counter B– Will check again your especially Birth certificate & Adhaar
Counter C- Granter- he will be old guy who will search error in your doc. He will some question related to your personal profile. If passed then granted for passport. You can leave for home and
Wait for SMS or track online from your registered account.
After that Police Verification at your home will take place, then you will receive your passport at registered address only via Indian post.
Normally it takes 7-10 working days for a passport to reach at your home after police verification
Cancelling/Rescheduling the visit
Applicants with confirmed appointments and if unable to visit Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) due to some reason, are advised to reschedule/cancel their appointments. Appointment rescheduling/cancellation for an application are allowed up to two times only within a year of the first appointment date.
Who issues the passport?
The Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India provides passport services through Central Passport Organisation (CPO) and its network of Passport Offices and Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs); and consular, passport and visa services to overseas Indians/foreign nationals through the Indian Missions and Posts abroad.
The relevant documents
Documents that served as proof of Identity
- PAN card
- Ration/PDS Photo card
- Voter ID
- Driving license
- Government Photo ID Cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
Documents that can be served as proof of Address:
- Bank Statement/Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
Documents that serve as proof of Date of Birth:
- SSLC Book/Certificate/Passport
- Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead
Fee calculator is available at the passport portal
Click here to know about the fees of passport service:
Loss/damage of Passport
- If you have lost your passport during traveling, then you can come to India on the basis of “Emergency Certificate”. For the issuance of “Emergency Certificate”, you need to contact the respective mission/post of that country.
- To apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport, you need to apply for “Re-issue” of passport. The process will be followed same as above. Only in place of fresh passport, Reissue passport must be selected.
- In case of lost passport, you need to apply for re-issue of passport. Following documents must be submitted along with the application:
- Proof of Present Address
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Affidavit stating how and where the passport got lost/damaged (Annexure ‘F’)
- Police report in original
- Self-attested photocopy of first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page of old passport, if available.
Re-issue of Passport: You can apply for re-issue of passport following the same process as above, if you want another passport in lieu of an existing passport for any of the following reasons:
- Change in existing personal particulars.
- Validity expired within 3 years/ Due to expire.
- Validity expired more than 3 years ago.
- Exhaustion of pages.
- Damaged passport.
- Lost passport.
For any more passport related FAQs, click below: